Saturday, October 29, 2011

GOD'S ALL POWERFUL WORD LEADS TO HIS REST!

Cathy definitely helped me to conclude that entering God's rest is a daily event. Embracing God's promises... realizing that our faith in God is tied to His all powerful Word.  Heb 4:12-13  For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart. Nothing in all creation is hidden from God's sight. Everything is uncovered and laid bare before the eyes of him to whom we must give account. We can rest in the fact that God is all knowing, He knows our troubles, our sins, our struggles our thoughts.  Nothing can happen without it filtering through His hands..wow, is there a sense of rest in that or what? 

I encourage you to spend time in His Word, read and re-read Hebrews, what a powerful book.  Sure it is written to Hebrews, but to Christian Hebrews and we are all in that Christian family if we have Jesus in our hearts.  Thank you Cathy for the lesson on R-E-S-T.
  
******************************************
MY TESTIMONY 
by BETTY LOWRY


I’m 57 years old and have been happily married for 35 years to an incredible guy and have 2 beautiful girls, one great son-in-law and 3 fantastic grandchildren. I asked Jesus into my life when I was 24 years old.

The first Bible Verse that I memorized was Proverbs 3:5, 6. Trust in the Lord with all thine heart and lean not on thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge Him and He will direct thy paths. (I guess all of the "Thine" and "thy" date me!) This verse became a verse that has been the foundation of my spiritual life.
Like many other folks, many ugly, rough things balanced out with beautiful things happened to me before I was saved. Not surprisingly, that same mix of good and bad experiences has continued since I was saved.

So what was the difference before and after I was saved? My life was complicated both before and after. I had to face both a beautiful and tragic world both before and after. The difference is that I am now facing the beauty and ugliness of the world knowing that The Father, Son, and Holy Spirit are always with me. God didn’t come into my world. He was always there in my world for me. I just had to find Him! Just like Dorothy in the "Wizard of OZ." No one could tell Dorothy how to get home. She had to find out for herself.

I have always been a very visual, creative, empathetic person who unfortunately had a difficult childhood. Before knowing Jesus, I was able to hide in my own little fantasy world to get away from the mental and physical abuse that happened throughout my life. It was a survival technique that kept me sane, but it was not real. I was hiding from everyone and everything including God. Then God planted some seeds, and they started germinating. He started gently guiding me toward Him. I started breaking out of the imagined world that I so carefully created and I started facing God honestly.

I accepted Jesus Christ into my life in 1978 at the age of 24. On a whim, I went with a friend to hear a Christian man share his testimony. The man’s name was Josh McDowell. He was a man who set out to disprove Jesus and ended up a believer. I understood what he went through. He started answering the difficult questions that I had, and the answers started making sense! (Or God opened my eyes and my ears so that I really heard the message!)

Did I do bad things before I was saved? Yes. Have I done bad things after I have been saved? Absolutely! [Isn’t it interesting how the more we learn about God, the more God shows us our sins?] I repent of those sins and ask God’s forgiveness daily. And I know that those sins are forgiven through Jesus.

At this time in my life both my physical and mental health has deteriorated. Without God in my life I surely would not have made it. I have to admit that my life before and after becoming a Christian has not been easy. But then again, God did not say this would be easy. There have been many ups and downs but through grace, faith and trust in Him, I not only am surviving but thriving to glorify Him!

Looking back on my spiritual life I’m struck by (God’s) perfect timing of everything. I grew apart from God, I grew closer to God. If I hadn’t experienced hard times in my life, I would not appreciate what I have now. God brought me together as a whole being. Each day with God, I learn to trust God, trust others as well as trust myself! God has always had the perfect plan for me. I can’t wait to watch it unfold! It truly is all for Him!

******************************

Betty Lowry and I have put our heads together and are happy to offer a small workshop on Praying in Color.  It is an exciting hour of adding some splash to your prayer life through color.  We will hold the workshop right after class on November 8, 2011.  You must sign up by Nov. 4th to attend. (We have to have time to gather supplies, etc.).  A sign-up sheet will be available this coming Tuesday November 1st.  No art talent or experience needed, just the desire to expand your horizon's.  Bring a sack lunch and any pens or pencil's that can add color to a page.  Art supplies will be available so if you don't have any that is okay, they will be provided.  Thank you Betty!

The happy blogger, Meribeth
******************************

Cathy's Web Site
Cathy's Email: cathywilson@q.com
Hebrews Week 7

No comments:

Post a Comment